Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 4-Your parents

My parents....

My mom was extremely creative and crafty. She painted, sewed, crocheted and cooked awesome food. I like to think I got a bit of my craftiness for creating pottery and scrapbooking from her but clearly I got none of the great cooking skills (but Pamela did!). She also loved to read like me and I definitely think she encouraged reading while we were growing up. I remember fondly going to the library and picking out bunches of books. My mom was a stay at home mom and once I got to be surly teenager, I just wanted her to be like 'everyone else's' mom and go to work. Once I was 20 and in college, I finally realized how lucky I was that she was able to stay home with us and greet us after school with homemade cookies. Unfortunately she passed away when I was 20...just around the time that I was becoming 'friends' with her. That part of our relationship I will always miss out on having. (sorry, I am probably making everyone sad but now I am tearing up now!)


My dad is an opinionated and loud Italian guy. He is the also best dad I could ever have or want. He had to be both a mom and a dad after my mom died. I can only imagine how hard it is to lose your wife but also such a great caregiver to four kids (to the extent that he didn't do much on that end). My dad has come a long way from when I first called him from college after my mom died and he said "Who is this?" and he thought I said Maureen and I had to yell: It's LORRAINE, your DAUGHTER!!!! My dad is also one of the most respectful and fair men I know. And....a terrific Grampy who is known for bringing 'Grampy cakes' every time he sees the kids!

3 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Funny I was tearing up .. and then they went away because I read what you said about your dad! hahahahahah Opinionated and loud Italian guy....

Stacey said...

it's so nice to read these things! I remember you telling me about your dad saying "who is this"?

Unknown said...

Hi Lorraine,
It was sad reading about your mom. Your dad didn't recognize you on the phone? That's funny!